Bandwidth is a key factor in the networking and also an important aspect of the businesses through internet. It is very important to keep a track of the bandwidth usage. ISP keeps a track of this bandwidth usage, but more bandwidth is used which provides a room to compensate this purpose. This tool offers an effective bandwidth control solution that makes the bills of ISP more predictable. The customers are allowed to monitor their own bandwidth usages. It can manage the bandwidth graphs with prevention to the flooding issues. A through monitoring is done along with the severs or network performance. It eases the control of the bandwidth usages that reduces Internet Service Provider bills.
Working of flowmonitor:
- xFlow Monitoring:
- The bandwidth can be measured with the help of IP address or by the application in a network with the help of xFlow where IPFIX protocols are included. These act as a best choice for the networks with very high traffic.
- This xFlow monitor tool is grouped with the information of bandwidth usage data and sends this information after aggregation to the PRGT with the help of UDP packets.
- The sampling of any information will send only about the n-th packet to PRTG in order to reduce the CPU loads. As the pre-aggregation it is performed by the switch of the traffic data, the flow data is much smaller in PRGT than the traffic that is monitored.
- This differentiates the bandwidth usages by the network and IP address.
- Net flow and IPFIX Monitoring:
- This is mainly used in the Cisco devices. If the router is configured once, then the each data flow information is sent to the monitoring system.
- It is easy to filter and evaluate the data with the help of available Net Flow and IPFIX sensors.
- The basic ones are pre-defined with channel definitions by means of the customized variants that enable for the definition of the own channel. It generates little CPU load on the router and generates less CPU load on the core system when compared to the sensors of the packet sniffers.
- SFlow Monitoring:
- It is just similar to the Net flow monitoring. The data flow packets data is sent to the monitor system that runs on the PRTG probe.
- It offers less data to analyze, that offers fewer loads on the CPU and offers less traffic monitor on the data generated.
- It clearly offers a good insight of the bandwidth usage of the networks.
- Real time monitoring:
It is a tool that provides the current bandwidth usages of each SNMP configured interface. The graphical representation will provide a clear visibility of the bandwidth usages of the specific network interface.
- Agentless monitoring:
SNMP is used to retrieve bandwidth details along with its utilization from the available network devices and related routers, switches and other gateway servers. The collected data is presented and correlated in the form of graphs and related tables. No hardware probes are required to get the bandwidth details.
- Historical bandwidth trend usages:
The bandwidth utilization trends are used to show the patterns of usages and network traffic trends across a specific period of time. These statistics will help to analyze the bandwidth in the network usages.
- Threshold based altering:
Thresholds can be set for the bandwidths and their utilization that offers alerts and emails when the traffic utilization limit exceeds. This is a quicker isolation solution for the network problems.
- Monitoring reports:
This tool offers the information about the bandwidth trending on hourly, daily, monthly and also yearly basis and provides information about utilization of the volume, speed and transfers of the packets. Export bandwidth reports are offered in XLS format. Service Level Agreement is also verified with this tool.