How to Secure Wi-Fi
- “WI-Fi” stands for “Wireless Fidelity”. Mostly people rush through while setting up their WI-Fi connection, without taking into consideration about the security for connection. It is implied that they wish to connect to the network as soon as possible.
- To secure the WI-Fi network is little tricky to most of the people where they give up their hopes early and leave their WI-Fi network unsecured.
- There are many loopholes by which the unsecured wireless connection can be easily hacked.
- If the wireless network is hacked which may lead to the complete usage of the internet package or if your plan is a limited one then it might lead to additional charges.
- And if you have an unlimited data plan then it might result to less speed if the WI-Fi is hacked.
- In order to secure the WI-Fi user needs to follow the few steps:
Need to open your router settings page:Sponsored Links
- You need to have knowledge about the process to access your wireless router’s settings.
- In general it can be performed by typing in “192.168.1.1” into your web browser.
- Next, enter the valid user name and password for the router.
- The user name varies from router to router, for which the user needs to check the user manual for the details.
Creation of unique password on the router:
- After the successful login, the first thing user should do is to secure the network, i.e., is to change the password from the default setting to a more secured one.
- This prevents the unauthorised entries to the router where the user can easily maintain the security settings that you want.
- You can change the password from Administration settings on your router’s settings page.
How do people misuse it:
- This is public database of default login credentials of the wireless routers, switches, modems and other networking equipment.
- For example, anyone can easily make out from database that factory default settings for Linksys equipment accessed by using admin for both password and username fields.
Change your Network’s SSID name:
- The SSID of your Wireless Router in general stated as “default” or set router’s brand name.
- Though this does not make your network more secure, the change of SSID name of the network is great idea as it makes more obvious for others to know about the network to which they are connected.
- This particular setting in general is under wireless settings in the page of router’s settings.
- After completion of this user must ensure that they are connected to the correct wireless network.
*In SSID name you should not use your name, address or any other personal data.
How do people misuse:
- There are tools for scanning Wi-Fi such as Kismet and inSSIDer where they are available at free of cost.
- These tools allow any person to identify all the available Wireless Networks in an area though the routers if the broadcasting is not by their SSID name.
How to Enable Network Encryption:
- To prevent from the usage of internet by the other computers in the area you need to encrypt the wireless signals.
- There are different encryption methods for wireless settings that include WEP, WPA-Personal and Wi-Fi Protected Access version 2.
- In order to enable encryption on your Wireless network, you need to open wireless security settings on the configuration page of your router.
- This lets you to select the method of security you desire.
- To access the network enter passphrase, ensure to set this to something that will be difficult to guess and it can be numbers, letters and any special characters in passphrase.
How do people misuse it:
There are some free tools that give an access to a non-hackers like AirCrack and coWPAtty. These are used to crack the WEP or WPA keys utilises brute force techniques.
How to Filter MAC Addresses:
- You might have the laptop or even a Wi-Fi enabled mobile phone; one should know that all the wireless devices will have a unique MAC address.
- For enhanced protection, you can add MAC addresses of all devices to your wireless router’s settings, so that only specified devices will connect to the Wi-Fi network.
- The addresses of MAC are hard-coded into the networking equipment and it results as one address which allows one device on network.
- To enable MAC address filtering, list all your hardware devices that you wish to connect to the wireless network.
- Identify the MAC address and then add them to MAC address filtering in settings of router’s administrative.
- You can find MAC addresses of Wireless mobile phones and the other portable devices under the network settings which differ from one device to the other.
How do people misuse it:
- Some people can change the MAC address of their own computer and connect to others network, which allows connection from devices that facilitates a specific MAC address.
- Any person can modify MAC address of their device i.e., wireless by using the sniffing tool like Nmap.
- Then they can modify MAC address of their computer by using another tool like MAC Shift which is free of cost.
Reduce the Range of Wireless Signal:
If the range of your router is high, but you live in small studio apartment then you can decrease the signal range either by using a different wireless channel.
Apply the Anti-Wi-Fi Paint:
- Researchers have developed special Wi-Fi blocking paint which aids to stop the unauthorised accessing of your network without having to set up encryption at router level.
- And this paint has chemicals which blocks the radio signals by absorbing.
Upgrade the Router’s Firmware:
- You should verify manufacturer’s site often to ensure that the router is running on the latest firmware.
- You can identify the existing firmware version of the router by means of the router’s dashboard at 192.168.*.
To know who is connected to your wireless Network:
If you are worried that an unauthorised person might connect to Internet by using your Wireless network, you can try AirSnare a free utility tool that looks for unexpected MAC addresses on DHCP requests or Wireless network.
The other option is that you can open the administration page of your router and look for DHCP clients table.
In this table you can see the list of all the computers as well as wireless devices that are connected to your network.
The best idea is to turn off the router completely when you do not plan to use the system for longer time.
So that you can save electricity and door remains 100% closed for the wireless piggybackers.
If a situation arises that you wish to allow a new device connects to your network then you need to know the MAC address of the device and then add it to the router.
Connect to your Secure Wireless Network:
In brief, MAC address filtering with WPA2 encryption might be the best way to secure the wireless network.
Once you enable many security settings in your wireless router, you have to add new settings to the computers and other wireless devices so that they can connect to the network.
One can select the computer which directly connects to the network, which does not require the entry of SSID and passphrase and any other data all the time, i,e., whenever you connect to Internet.