ICMP means Internet Control Message Protocol. It is a useful internet protocol that is constructive to manage the network and its administration. It is a required element especially in IP implementations. It is a control protocol but does carry any application data. It just carries the information about the status of the network. The ICMP report can be used to report the errors that are underlying the communication through the network applications.
It reports about the availability of remote hosts. The network congestion statistics can be reported. It is a best example of ICMP in the practice of ping utility that uses the ICMP for the probe remote hosts in order to have responsiveness along with an overall round trip time of the probe messages. It supports the trace route in order to identify the immediate connection in between the host and the terminus.
How does ICMP Ping Tool work?
ICMP is particularly a network diagnostic tool that works alive and responds accordingly. It easily compensates the IP protocol in case of error response. It generally has two types of messages as error responding and query messages that are used to analyze the network problems. These query messages are of two types:
- Echo request message
- Echo reply message
- An echo message is sent to the destination from the source of ICMP.
- A sequence of identifiers is set by a ping program that gets incremented with each and every echo message.
- The sending time in the data section is inserted in the data section of the message.
- If the host is alive then it sends an echo message back to the source.
- The time of arrival of the response message is noted by the ping program and this send time is used in the message part to calculate the round trip time.
- This will increment the identifier sequence and sends a set by the user in order to terminate the problematic programs.
The whole process is summarized for the percentage packet loss and such information is data summarized for their display that shows a packet of transmissions along with the received data, percentage loss, minimum and average round up times.
It is a free manage engine that helps to administrate the availability of servers, websites and other networks. It performs real time trace outs. It facilitates to find the trace out details. It performs a DNS look up along with response time monitoring. Ping success and ping failure calculates the ping table data. It can track the IP addresses of the network devices in the Ping Data table. The websites and destination device round trip time can be found out. It presents a graphical view of the RTT over time. The ping packets time before expiring in the network is found out now. Time to live is mostly populated in the Ping data table. The DNS records as A records, SOA records, MX records, NS records and Text records. It retains the IP address if once it is entered in the tool in order to have its subsequent usage.